Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Blue Tooth Virgin: Movie Review

 

About trying to understand one's self and accepting constructive criticism.

Screenwriter Sam (Austin Peck) has written "The Blue Tooth Virign". He's awfully excited about it; he tells his friend David (Bryce Johnson) that it's a thriller driven by characters, and he wants David to read it and give him notes.

This film offers an hilarious and critical analysis of his script, David trying to tell Sam what he really thought about it, and
  2008 (with 2010 DVD release)

Directed by: Russell Brown

Screenplay by: Russell Brown

Starring: Austin Peck, Bryce Johnson
Sam trying to accept who he really is. Sam has to learn to accept some harsh criticism of his work, but worse, some harsh criticism about what kind of person he is. David's life is easier, but he has to figure out how to give criticism and to open up about what he wants out of writing, and try not to lose a friend through honesty.

I got really wrapped up into what I can learn about myself as a writer. This film got me more interested in understanding myself more than these characters, but that just may be one of their ultimate goals in writing and making this film. I laughed a lot during their discussions about "The Blue Tooth Virgin", I laughed a little bit during the script consultation, and I really appreciated their attempts to help me become more self-aware as a writer.

For anyone who really wants to examine their selves and their creative craft, this is a must see. I now may be more open to constructive criticism on my work. Maybe.




Recommended:

Stuck Between Stations (2011) - A relationship drama about the characters and what they have to say.

Crashing (2007) - A well written film about writing; not a comedy but it is funny.